Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
Pub­lisher: Signet
Pages: Kindle Edition, 239 pages
Series: The Morganville Vampires
Pub­li­ca­tion date: October 3rd 2006


It’s a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows—one that will spill out into the bright light of day.

Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. The popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks on the school’s social scene: somewhere less than zero. And Claire really doesn’t have the right connections—to the undead who run the town.

When Claire heads off campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Hew new roommates don’t show many signs of life. But they’ll have Claire’s back when the town’s deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

Why Glass Houses is a good book and you should give it a try

Let me start by giving thanks to my dear friend Alk who forced me to give this book a try. If it weren’t for her I wouldn’t have given this book a second glance. You can probably blame it on the cover and on all those negative reviews that are going around Goodreads.

Speaking of which, I need to clear out a few things. There are many people in my Goodreads friend list who absolutely love this book. And there are others who loathe the mere sight of it. Now, call me an asshole but I thought that the people who loved Morganville Vampires are overreacting, and that the ones who hate it are right to do so. What made me think so is the following quote:

"What normal girl loved physics? Abnormal ones. Ones who were not ever going to be hot. And face it, being hot? That was what life was all about."

It makes the MC sound like a total douche, doesn’t it? This quote can be found in the first chapter of the book. Do you see why so many people dropped it without a second thought? Do you? Well, I do. Let me give you a piece of advice. Go on with reading the book and you’ll find out why Claire, the MC, formed this thought in the first place. Click to view Spoiler This is why you cannot take the above quote seriously. It’s exactly like the time you see your crush date the beautiful, yet stupid, girl in your class and wishing to trade your intelligence with beauty just so you would be in her place. Would you actually do it? Maybe. Personally, I wouldn’t. Did I ever have thoughts similar to this? Sure I did, I’m human after all. Anyways, back to my point. It seems a bit too harsh to judge Glass Houses according to this quote only.

Claire is one fucked up character, and I love her for it. I can already see her grow out of this awkward freakish skin she’s currently wearing. And oh gosh can Rachel Caine write her shit. The characters are deep, her story is fascinating and, from what I’ve heard, she’s awesome in creating atmospheric horror scenes. I did not encounter one of those scenes yet, but I can say that I’m looking forward to them.

And another thing. The ending. What. The. Hell. I’ve never had a cliffhanger as big as this one. I have no words. I can only say that I’m grateful for having the next book available, else I would end up strangling someone because of this frustration!

Would I recommend this to you? Well it depends. Are you into Urban Fantasy? Do you care about your characters feeling real (no Mary Sues)? Do you shy away from violence and cruelty? Would you mind reading a long series? Morganville Vamps has all that, and more. So think carefully before making your decision. I, for one, liked it a lot. There were some parts of the story that dragged on a bit too much, but the rest was badass. I can’t wait to start book #2.

Oh, and one final thing before I end the review. Morganville Vampires has 13 published books, and 2 more that will be published in 2013. 15+ books?! Holy shit, that’s a shitload of books! I do hope that I’ll be able to reach book 15 without getting fed up with the series. Here’s to hoping!

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...