The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

The Devil's Right Hand by Lilith Saintcrow
Pub­lisher: Orbit
Pages: Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Series: Dante Valentine
Pub­li­ca­tion date: September 1st 2007


Dante Valentine, Necromancer and bounty hunter, just wants to be left alone. But the Devil has other ideas.

The Prince wants Dante. And he wants her now. And Dante and her lover, Japhrimel, have no choice but to answer the Prince's summons. And to fulfill a seemingly simple task: become the Devil's Right Hand, hunt down four demons that have escaped from Hell, and earn His gratitude.

It's a shame that nothing is ever easy when it comes to the Devil. Because of course, he doesn't tell Dante the whole truth: there is a rebellion brewing in Hell. And there is a good chance that Lucifer is about to be pushed off the throne.

But Dante is getting really tired of being pushed around. And this time, she might be angry enough to take on the Devil himself...

Ok, so apparently Dante has to grieve over someone in each book else Saintcrow won’t be happy. Book two over Japh, and now over Jace. Yay Dante.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I touch The Devil’s Right Hand, and I feel like yawning. I touch it again, just to make sure, and I yawn again. I open the book. Chapter 1.
It’s for you,” Japhrimel said diffidently, his eyes flaring with green fire in angular runic patterns for just a moment before returning to almost-human darkness. […]

My vision gets blurry. I yawn again. I feel like the ground is pulling my body towards it.

I drink some coffee.

Chapter 2.
I woke from a trance deeper than sleep, a dreamless well of darkness. I had been unable to sleep for almost a year while […]

My vision is still blurry. I bring a blanket to keep me warm since the ground is too cold.

I drink more coffee.

Chapter 7. No time for a quote. Made a pillow out of my slippers. A bit uncomfortable. Running out of coffee.

Chapter 15.. Must. Not. Close. Eyes. Coffee. Please.

- several days later -

Chapter 17.



Chapter 18. Wait a second! This is getting good! Could this be? Could this really be??

Chapter 20. Frustration. Frustration. FRUSTRATION.

Plus Dante is a dick.

Chapter 22.



Chapter 29 (or something – I lost track) . Japh is a total sonovabitch and I completely hate him. I really really hate him. I can never look at him the same way ever again.

Chapter 40-something. And now he made up to her by saying “Omg Dante Dick, I only did this in order to protect you because I love you and I could never hurt you. Unless you behave like a bitch, then I can bruise you all I want because why the hell not.”

No. I will not forgive you. Ever. YOU HEAR ME?!

Conclusion
Half of the book was a snoozefest, the other half was pretty good. Saintcrow sure knows how to write her climaxes.

Score
First half: 2 stars
Second half: 4 stars
Average score: 3 stars

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. =/

    I have half a mind to not re-read the rest of the series and let the memories live on in my heart. Rather that than to tarnish fantasy with the reality that these books aren't as awesome as I thought 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol 5 years is a long time. I'm sure I'd hate most of the books I've read 5 years ago if I were to give them another try now :p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...