Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that’s not the problem.
When Velveteen Monroe pictured Bonesaw’s house—and she did, more often than could be considered healthy—blood striped the paint a muddy reddish-brown, internal organs floated in jars of formaldehyde, and great big taxidermy crows leered from branches that twisted from the wall like palsied arms.
Velveteen started out well. A morbid story about a murdered girl's ghost who's out for revenge on the person who took away her life.
I really loved the fact that even though she's stuck in Purgatory, she can travel to and back from Earth anytime she wants. Thinking about it, the whole concept of the book is interesting. But, and there's always a but when it comes to the Young Adult genre, Velveteen is full of problems.
I think the best way to show the positive and negative aspects of this book is by making a list. I love lists.
- Morbid story;
- I like the idea of the Purgatory being a city where one could actually try to make a living, or whatever the hell they do in there;
- The MC is a total bitch. Why on the plus side? Because I like bitches;
- Her pre-murder thoughts, her experience, the trauma - all these things feel genuine;
- The book is pretty original (at least for me, it's the first time I read a story such as this);
- Nick (aka the MC hottie) is charming.
- Teenage drama, freaking full of teenage drama;
- Choppy writing;
- Too much focus on Purgatory issues and not on her revenge;
- I feel like the plot was ignored in favor of the romance. As charming as Nick is, this goes to the negatives. Why? Because it made the events that took place in the book feel extremely chaotic. Lots of wtfs were used during my read;
- After loads of mutual butt sniffing, Velvet agrees for Nick to court her. Then Daniel Marks decided that it's time to dump 70% worth of information on my head just for fun;
- The story gets incredibly idiotic towards the end.
In the end, the negative aspects overcame the positive ones, and my overall experience with Velveteen left a sour taste in my mouth. I would recommend it ONLY if you're into the Young Adult genre.
View all my reviews