Cold Light (After Trilogy, #2)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

Cold Light by Traci L. Slatton
Pub­lisher: Parvati Press
Pages: Paperback, 212 pages
Series: After Trilogy
Pub­li­ca­tion date: June 27th 2012


The end of the world brings chaos, madness, and psychic powers. For Emma and Arthur, separated by an ocean, it brings a love that demands everything. Emma's beloved daughter is kidnapped by vengeful raiders, and Emma embarks on a soul-crushing journey to rescue her. When Arthur finds Emma, can she trust him? Against impossible odds, Emma draws near the rogue camp, where she also confronts the deepest choice of her heart...

At least I’m not alone. I have Death to accompany me.

Long story short
After her daughter is taken by a band of raiders, Emma leaves her family behind and embarks in a trip to bring her back. The trip makes Emma cross paths with an old lover, Arthur, who is set on winning back her heart. Together they join forces to infiltrate the kidnapers’ group in order to get Emma’s daughter back.

My thoughts
Finding a good post-apocalyptic book is difficult because most of them follow the same story. 75 percent of the population is dead and the rest is suffering to survive in a post-name-your-disaster world where even toilets could bite your genitals off. This makes me judge books in this genre according to what makes them stand out from the crowd.

Fallen, book #1 of the After Trilogy, impressed me through its characters and interesting idea regarding the supernatural powers that the apocalypse brought. I was hoping that Cold Light would be a nice read, but I was badly mistaken.

My first problem is the too sudden start. I feel like I was dumped into the story with no explanation whatsoever. Emma’s daughter, Beth, was taken. Why? How? What? Deal with it.

My memory isn’t the best out there. I have read Fallen approximately one year ago, and now I don’t remember much of it. I even forgot the main characters’ names. Cold Light has minimal reminders of what happened in the previous book. It took me a while to get what’s going on in the story.

Emma bothered me a lot throughout the story. Her decisions were extremely strange, and she was constantly contradicting herself. I felt that the story was useless, and just an excuse to get Emma and Arthur together. This means that the focus of the story shifted from finding her daughter to hooking up with Arthur. I wasn’t too happy about this, but I still pushed myself into finishing the book. Or at least I tried up to a point.

Around 50 percent of the book Emma shows her true self. She is a selfish woman who likes to act like a bitch because she can. After she stupidly puts herself in danger, she gets saved by the people who once were her friends. How does she repay them? By making a PMS worthy scene. She was unbearable.

Emma’s attitude and the idiotic shift in the story made me give up the book approximately 67 percent along the way. I will not continue reading this series.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...