Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh
Pub­lisher: Penguin Group
Pages: ebook, 315 pages
Series: Guild Hunter
Pub­li­ca­tion date: September 4th 2012


Enter New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh’s darkly beautiful world of archangels and immortal power, as a pact is sealed between two souls bound by blood, stirred by desire, and driven by vengeance…

With wings of midnight and an affinity for shadows, Jason courts darkness. But now, with the Archangel Neha’s consort lying murdered in the jewel-studded palace that was his prison and her rage threatening cataclysmic devastation, Jason steps into the light, knowing he must unearth the murderer before it is too late.

Earning Neha’s trust comes at a price—Jason must tie himself to her bloodline through the Princess Mahiya, a woman with secrets so dangerous, she trusts no one. Least of all an enemy spymaster.

With only their relentless hunt for a violent, intelligent killer to unite them, Jason and Mahiya embark on a quest that leads to a centuries-old nightmare… and to the dark storm of an unexpected passion that threatens to drench them both in blood.

Now she trusted no man’s smile . . . and was starting to trust a man who smiled not at all.

Long story short
Jason, Raphael's spymaster, is sent to the Queen of Poisons’ palace to investigate the murder of her consort, the Archangel Eris. He is to be assisted by Eris' illegitimate daughter, princess Mahiya, in his investigation. Mahiya is not an ordinary princess. She hides a dark and troubled past, and Jason may be the only one who can bring light into her life.

My thoughts
Jason is my favorite angel of Raphael's Seven. I don't think I need to say more, right? I was having high expectations, as usual. Anyways, Archangel’s Storm is the second paranormal romance book from the guild hunter series, and I must say that I miss the good old days when guild hunter was urban fantasy. Ish.

I was going to give Archangel’s Storm three stars. It's mostly because I really like Nalini Singh’s books. The previous guild hunter book, Dmitri's, (I totally forgot the name) was very good and I'm sad to say that Jason’s doesn't even come close to it. I love Jason more than Dmitri so I’m sad. Kind of.

The bad thing about this book is that it's unbelievably boring. It's been a while since I’ve read a book that was so boring. It was uneventful, it had few action scenes and lots of talking and monologue. Add Nalini Singh’s special habit of using extremely fancy words for any simple sentence and you get a snoozefest.

And speaking of her writing style, let me pick on some things. The switch between scenes was too sudden. The memories and dialogues from those memories would simply pop up unexpectedly and if one didn't pay attention (that's me), one would lose track of what the hell was going on. This happened more than once. One moment I was reading about Mahiya’s dirty thoughts towards Jason, and the next I was reading about a bloody severed head on the table. Confusing, to say the least.

On to the next problem! Nalini Singh’s vocabulary and writing style can be too tough sometimes. She tends to use lots of complex words in long sentences. Have the following quote as an example.
As for this particular woman, he found the idea of another man courting her incited in him a dark violence he’d spent a lifetime learning to contain.

And another one:
Mahiya wanted to ask him why he used only the past tense, why he carried such black sorrow within, what had happened to Nene if Yavi was dead, but she couldn’t hurt him when he was already so terribly hurt deep inside.

Lots of complaining, I know. The fact that the story is boring me to death made me be sensitive to the smallest details. I didn't use to notice these things in Singh’s previous books, but I do remember reading about them in some people's reviews. Now I see that they were right. Even the typical Nalini Singh overly complex names bothered me. Heh. Imagine that.

Anydoodle, I did not like any of the characters. Not even Jason. He was weird. Mahiya was weird as well. In theory I was supposed to like her. In reality I didn't. I also didn't hate her which makes the problem a bit smaller. The romance is weird. The story is weird. The keyword for Archangel’s Storm is weird.

As I said in the beginning of my review, I was going to give it three stars. However, thinking about this book made me see that I almost didn't like anything about it. I can't give it one star because it Nalini Singh, so its two stars. If you’re a fan of Singh then its three. If you don't know who the hell is Singh then its one. You decide.

Favorite quote
An angel who fascinated her. The same way a child might be fascinated by the gleaming edge of a blade, wanting to run a fingertip over the metal to see if it really was that sharp.


View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...