Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels World, #1)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews
Pub­lisher: Ace
Pages: Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Series: Kate Daniels World
Pub­li­ca­tion date: July 31st 2012


Some people have everything figured out — Andrea Nash is not one of those people. After being kicked out of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea's whole existence is in shambles. All she can do is try to put herself back together, something made easier by working for Cutting Edge, a small investigative firm owned by her best friend, Kate Daniels.

When several shapeshifters working for Raphael Medrano — the male alpha of Clan Bouda and Andrea's former lover — die unexpectedly at a dig site, Andrea is assigned to investigate ... and must work with Raphael. As her search for the killer leads her into the secret underbelly of supernatural Atlanta, Andrea knows that dealing with her feelings for Raphael might have to take a backseat to saving the world ...

“You’ll never take me alive”

WTF is Gunmetal Magic about? Good question my friend. Gunmetal Magic takes place in the same world as the Kate Daniels series does: post-magic-induced-apocalyptic Atlanta. Now, I presume you have read the previous books. If not, then you probably should, it helps build up the story.

Andrea has a new case. A few members of the pack got killed so you know the old story. She has to investigate and get to the bottom of it. Add lots of actions, fights, bullets, cool weapons, badass monsters, and you get one hell of a book. I’m not going to get into details. Even so, you won’t guess who she has to work with! Ok, maybe it’s pretty obvious who. None other than Raphael, her big EX. Again, you see where this is going, right?

I didn’t use to like Andrea much. She didn’t quite make an impression on me. I used to see her as Kate’s friend. Nothing too important. A shadow. Gunmetal Magic made me have newfound respect for Andrea. She stands well on her own. She’s a strong character. A born leader. She’s smart, and I like the way she thinks and the way she handles her shit. She’s the reason why I’m going to give this book a high score. Or part of the reason. I’ll tell you the other part later.

I don’t know what to say about Raphael. I used to like him at a certain point, but after he broke up with Andrea, I kept wishing that she would hook up with someone better. Like, I dunno, Roman.

Which brings me where I wanted to reach all along. Roman. The second part I was talking about earlier. He stole away the spotlight from everyone. He is currently my favorite character – apart from Kate, of course – and I really want to have a book about him. I fucking need a book about him. Dark mage. Evil. Funny. Charming. Dude. Book. Now.

Fuck it, ONE book isn’t enough. Spin-off series. Pretty please.


Favorite quote:
“Did those nice church ladies come by again?”
He nodded. “I asked them if a man died and then the woman remarried, and the three of them met in heaven, would it be a sin for them to have a threesome, since they were all married in God’s eyes. And then they decided they were late to be somewhere else.”


View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...