Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas #6)

   

R.S.V.P. to the most riotous wedding of the year . . .
Lucy Jorik is the daughter of a former president of the United States.
Meg Koranda is the offspring of legends.
One of them is about to marry Mr. Irresistible—Ted Beaudine—the favorite son of Wynette, Texas. The other is not happy about it and is determined to save her friend from a mess of heartache.
But even though Meg knows that breaking up her best friend's wedding is the right thing to do, no one else seems to agree. Faster than Lucy can say "I don't," Meg becomes the most hated woman in town—a town she's stuck in with a dead car, an empty wallet, and a very angry bridegroom. Broke, stranded, and without her famous parents at her back, Meg is sure she can survive on her own wits. What's the worst that can happen? Lose her heart to the one and only Mr. Irresistible? Not likely. Not likely at all.

  Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Call Me Irresistible is probably the book I anticipated the most in this entire series as it features characters that have already been introduced rather than new and unfamiliar ones. SEP doesn't deliver this time, however.

I can't begin to express how disappointed I am with Call Me Irresistible , and by extension, SEP. The beginning was so awful, I nearly dropped this book several times. The only thing that kept me going was my loyalty to the author that initially made me fall in love with CR. Had it been anyone else, I would have most definitely dropped this and rated it no more than 1 star.

That feeling persisted for a long while, all the way until the very last 3 chapters. I knew that Ted and Meg would be messed up and annoying, but what completely shocked me was the attitude of Wynette's elite class, and specifically, Francie. Whatever happened to getting to know a person before passing judgment or minding your own business or cutting a poor girl some slack for going though the exact same thing YOU did?! Even the ending didn't redeem Francie and Emma for me.

Ironically, the couple I liked the least previously turned out to be my favorite in Call Me Irresistible. Jake and Fleur from Glitter Baby were completely natural and genuine in their role as a married couple and as Meg's parents, and I have half a mind to go back and change my 3-star rating into 5 stars instead for these two.

Ted and Meg are opposites in every sense of the word and that's what makes them so compatible. He's cold to her hot, level-headed to her reckless, and unemotional to her passionate. Meg starts out as spoiled and careless and ends up being a strong and responsible woman. Ted starts out as little more than a robot and ends up being one of SEP's sweetest heroes.

The last few chapters of Call Me Irresistible nearly makes up for the whole book, they're that great. I find it hard to entirely let go of the betrayal I felt over Francie and Emma's behavior, no matter how well-intentioned their actions, but the ending went a long way in making up for it. If I hadn't had such a hard time with the rest of the book, this might have been my most favorite title of SEP's yet. Hopefully Lucy's story will be better.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...